Thursday, June 15, 2006

Mom, welcome to the East Coast


IMG_2797
Originally uploaded by Polish Carpetlayer.

It’s not very often in life you get to watch your mom discover something completely new while she rediscovers something that’s been inside her since birth. My mom hitchhiked to the middle of Mexico from Washington when she was 19. This is a woman full of adventure. And yet, she hadn’t flown in a plane since the day she left Mexico. She hadn’t ever visited the East Coast. And she hadn’t taken her thirst for adventure outside of the West Coast and Oregon for a very very long time.

It was amazing to watch her eat up this trip. Here curiosity was like that of a young child. She just kept learning and experiencing new things day after day, hour after hour, minute after minute. She went to more art museums than she probably cared to and learned that NYC isn’t Lynwood California. She ate great food and discovered even more food. And when she visited DC she rediscovered her love of this country.

I was there for the whole experience. She may have been on vacation, but I felt like I was the lucky one. I think (and hope) this trip has ignited a new fire in my mom and quenched some old burning thirsts. It was a wonderful experience and I hope she (and we) have it again and again.

No comments: