Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Getting Ridiculous, Seriously


Getting Ridiculous
Originally uploaded by Polish Carpetlayer.

I’m as excited about this election as anyone. And I like my candidate. But this is ridiculous. The man has got my vote. Hey, I’m even imbuing him with a lot hopes and dreams I have for this country (and the world). However, I am not viewing him as a saint or a deity or religious icon or the next Che or Mao for that matter. Change and revolution doesn't happen on a poster, it happens in a people.

Isn’t it this the kind of worship that got us into the mess we’re in today (See George Bush)? Obama may be a great public servant (let’s hope so), but he’s no Jesus or Muhammad or Joseph Smith or any of those guys, and that is best for all. Stop the hero worship. The man is a man; imperfect just like you and I. We already have something to believe in and it's not just another dogma. Believe in the true promise of America. It’s got a lot to offer.

Obama isn't an icon or a catchphrase or a poster or a really, really cool t-shirt. He's got to be much more than that. He's got to be a leader. The world will be better for it.

No comments: