Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Evan and Suzy Live in the Tundra


IMG_2408
Originally uploaded by Polish Carpetlayer.

So we finally made the journey north, into the frozen tundra that is upper New York state. We stayed with Suzy and Evan in Syracuse. It snowed, we plowed through it and ended up at there house around 12:30 am Friday night/Saturday morning. Suzy was out and Evan was just chill'in. It was great to see them both. Suzy soon woke up and we talked until about 2:30 in the morning. Ouch. My system can't take that anymore.

Next morning we got up, had breakfast and then went to Ithaca. Cornell University is there, so it's kinda permeated with Ivy Leagueness (I just made that word up). I was told that the town is often compared to Eugene and I'd have to agree. It's got that hippie/smart/outdoorsy/I just smoked a brick of weed thing going for it.

We enventually left town and found ourselves checking out some of the many waterfall filled canyons. Beautiful. For a moment I thought I was in the Columbia George... for a moment. Then we headed out to do some wine tasting.

Ithica is NY's wine country. After some tasting, I can again say, Ithaca is NY's wine country. It is not, however, America's wine country. The wine was a fun experience. The wineries were nice and the company was superb.

We finished our trip by eating at the Moosewood Cafe of the famed vegitarian Moosewood cookbook. The food was... decent. But we left with our tummies full. That's what matters.

Next day we went cross country skiing with Suzy and Evan. My bruised ass tells me that I need a little practice. I fell down more in that one day than I have downhill skiing all year long. And then we meandered home.

It was a nice weekend. I can't wait to do it again.


No comments: