Thursday, August 09, 2007

Finally


HR 756 Barry Bonds
Originally uploaded by GlenC.

So Barry Bonds finally did it. He broke the hallowed home run record of Hamer’in Hank. I’ve got mixed feelings about the whole thing. Living in SF now there’s a lot of love for Barry. But I just finished the book, Game of Shadows, which makes a pretty convincing case about Barry’s steroid use. And even more, it makes a really convincing case that Barry Bonds is a flat out asshole. Now I’m not asking for my sports heroes to be saints. Normally, I don’t read about their personal lives. I watch them to enjoy the god given physical talents that they have, not to dream about having an in depth conversation with them or ask them how to raise children. But the magnitude of the MLB home run record mixed with the constant revelations that Barry Bonds is a brutal person and a cheat makes me very ambivalent about his amazing achievement. But beyond that, my cousin Jeff, who lives in SF too, had tickets to the Wednesday game and invited me along to hopefully watch Mr. Bonds break the record. Maybe we’d even catch the number 756 as it soared over the fences and into the record books. We could sell it for a million dollars and then buy a small house in the Bay area. But Bonds broke the record on Tuesday, so all those dreams were swatted away with one swing on the bat. What an inconsiderate slugger he is. Damn!

As it turns out, I wouldn’t have been able to make Wednesday’s game because I had to work late. He hit number 757 on Wednesday. Maybe he should start paying me to stay away from the ballpark. That might work for him as much as steroids.

1 comment:

keyed in said...

indicted.