Saturday, November 04, 2006

Frida Visits New York on Halloween


Michelle-and-Frida
Originally uploaded by Polish Carpetlayer.

I've never had a Halloween costume get as much attention. Well, there was that year I was Poison Ivy while I waited tables at Kell's... Anyway, not this kind of attention.

Cas and I went to a party in Manhattan on Saturday where, as soon as I walked out the door of my apartment, I had people staring and smiling in recognition. When we got to the city, we nearly got hit by a driver turning the corner while we crossed the street; he drove by starring with his mouth agape. Everywhere, people were saying "It's Frida!"

On Tuesday, at the wine shop, where I work, people were coming in off the street, not to get candy, (no a thousand kids were taking care of that. More on the Park Slope Halloween madness later.) but to comment on my costume and ask to take my picture with their child. I was like Snow White at Disneyland! It was crazy! I was actually surprised how many children recognized Frida.

Park Slope A.K.A. "The Hatchery" really comes alive on Halloween. There is a parade where people dance in the street and children show off their costume. It's utter chaos in the neighborhood. At the wine shop we had two wine case boxes filled to the brim of candy. We gave away every single piece. Absolute insanity, I tell you. I saw more kids in that one night than I have seen in my whole life put together. Needless to say, we didn't have a lot of wine business that night; anyone who goes out without a kid is either naive or have a strong desire to be mauled by mini Pirates and Sponge Bob Square Pants.

Caspian dressed up too. To go with the beard he's been growing to help him survive the bitter winter northeastern winds, and to feed the jokes of his coworkers on how "crunchy" he is, Caspian dressed up in corduroy and hemp and passed out granola. He even made his own t-shirt (actually designed, printed and ironed on his design.) Making it clear exactly what he was. (In case anyone mistook him as one of my boyfriends from college.)

All in all, although we pined for a Calderone/Gummere Halloween Bash, we had a great time.

(Please click on the picture to view more, and feel free to comment!)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG....Michelle you are a ringer for Frida! Sara G