Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Totally Not Cool


Me and the Mountain
Originally uploaded by shredmaximus.

OK, as I watch the news, read the papers, look at the snow reports, check out snow covered pictures on flickr (picture of skibowl above was taken Nov. 25, 2006) and wear a t-shirt outside on November 29 in New York City, I start to realize global warming is real and it’s fucking with my happiness. Come on! This just isn’t cool. While my former home (well it will always be my real home) is getting snowed on day in and day out, I’m breaking out the sunscreen. Mid-sixty degree weather after thanksgiving just isn’t right. It’s downright freaky. I didn’t know that when I took this job in New York City that New York City was in Arizona. I need to be closer to the mountains and the snow! Seriously!!!

It’s amazing. You’ll see New Yorkers wrapped in wool coats, scarves, Gortex jackets, big boots and any other set of winter clothes they can find. Store windows are full of Patagonia gear, fake snow and a general nod to a climate that doesn’t seem to exist here anymore—or at least this year. And it’s like New Yorkers can’t comprehend this fact. They’re on autopilot. They’ve always worn winter clothes this time of year, and damnit,, they’re going to wear them now…no matter the amount of sweat they find themselves covered in. Bye god, the calendar says it’s winter. Break out the out the wool-fleece-down-parka-beanie-boots-thingy.

Now I don’t mind riding my bike around in this weather and I love going for hikes in it, but I love doing that in the spring or the fall, not less than a month away from Christmas. This weather is ridiculous. It’s crazy. It’s not winter. I don’t know what else to say.

Gotta go. I’ve got some hot cider and chestnuts calling my name.

1 comment:

s said...

Last year you would have been crying, it was so cold. Don't worry, the winter is still young. You still have a shot at trudging to work in 9 degree weather, if that's what you really want. (I'm with you, though. It's way too warm right now. And I'm heading to Texas....sheesh.)